So, it’s time
to prepare for the arrival of you little one at last! Think ahead, some babies arrive earlier than expected so get your bag ready and add snacks and drinks when you leave.
Our list includes everything you'll need for your baby, for your birth and a few little luxuries for yourself. Don’t forget the car seat! You won’t be allowed to leave the hospital without it.
See also our newborn essentials checklist
There are some printable checklists below.
- Maternity notes
- Birth plan
- Nightdress/pyjamas- 3 sets
- Dressing gown
- Slippers/fluffy socks
- Comfy clothes- You will need clothes to travel home in and clothes to move around the hospital in, loungewear is a great option.
- Comfy shoes
- Big knickers- pack plenty
- Bras- Go for well-fitting, comfortable, nursing bras.
- Maternity pads- Although the hospital may provide these, you should pack plenty, just incase. As a guide you will change every 1-2 hours for the fist few days.
- Breast pads- Pack plenty
- Toiletries- Toothbrush, toothpaste, bodywash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant.
- Face cloth
- Cosmetics and skin care products- If make-up is part of your usual routine, then pack it, as for skin care products, pack a nice cleanser and moisturizer (it’s amazing how much better you feel after a mini-facial).
- Hair ties
- Hair clips
- Hair dryer
- Hair straighteners
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Phone charger
- Snacks and drinks
- Sleepsuits- 5 or 6, babies can be quite sicky when they are first born so you will likely go through these quickly.
- Vests- 5 or 6
- Hats- 2 or 3
- Blankets- 2 or 3
- Cute outfit- For going home or photographs.
- Muslin squares & bibs
- Nappies- 20 to 30
- Wipes or cotton wool
- Formula or pre-made bottles- Pre-made bottles save on sterilizing, they are also small and so convenient.
- Car seat- You can ask the person who is taking you home to bring this when they collect you or you can take it with you when you go in.